offerta di lavoro
Position: Project Manager
Contract Type: contract of collaboration, full-time
Remuneration: 3.400€ - 4.000€
Duration: 1 year renewable
Starting date: October 2023
Duty station: Pemba Island, Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Department: International Cooperation
Supervisors: Oikos East Africa Managing Director, WASH coordinator, Biodiversity Conservation Programme Director
Liaison to/in collaboration with: Project Managers, Administration Department
The Project Manager will coordinate all aspects of the Pemba Urban Resilience through Ecosystem-based approaches (PURE) project.
Istituto Oikos E.T.S. a not for profit conservation organisation registered in Italy, is hiring an experienced project manager to lead the 3-year project PURE - Pemba Urban Resilience through Ecosystem-based approaches. The project is funded by the European Union and implemented in Pemba Island, a new target area for Istituto Oikos in close collaboration with its long-time Tanzanian partner Oikos East Africa, and the company African Architecture Matters.
The project overall objective is to make the main urban areas of North Pemba safe, inclusive, resilient and sustainable; its specific objective is to enhance urban resilience and delivery of accessible public services including water, sanitation, and waste management for urban communities in Wete and Micheweni districts.
The project focuses on improving the living conditions and resilience of the urban residents of the Region of Pemba North, targeting the urban wards of Wete District (population 35,000 as of 2022 census) and the 24,000 residents (2022) of the urban wards of Micheweni, Konde, Tumbe Mashariki, Tumbe Magharibi in Micheweni, which is the least developed district in the Zanzibar archipelago.
Outputs of the project:
O1. Improved capacities and facilities for the provision of water and sanitation services in Wete and Micheweni districts
O2. Improved capacities and facilities for urban waste management in Wete and Micheweni districts
O3. Improved capacities of Wete and Micheweni government authorities for urban integrated management
O4. Improved access to green and public spaces in Wete and Micheweni urban areas
O5. Increased capacities and facilities for economic development and community-based interventions in Wete and Micheweni districts
● Coordinate and manage the launch and implementation of the project in compliance with the European Union and Oikos procedures and requirements, overseeing the overall progress and use of resources and applying adaptive management when deemed necessary;
● Ensure the implementation of the activities is effective, efficient and relevant to the target area aligned with the project’s goals and the mission and vision of the organisation
● Manage the budget of the project carefully applying the procedures of the organisation and the European Union rules and regulations
● Supervise the cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time.
● Communicate with project partners, local authorities and any other stakeholders to inform of project activities, implementation, progress, and exceptions.
● Develop smooth relationships with the project donor and the partners during all phases of the project on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements).
● Coordinate and supervise construction of sanitation infrastructures, trainings, awareness campaigns
● Develop and lead the monitoring & evaluation activities aligned with the project logical framework, design baseline and endline, ensure that quality data are collected throughout the project to inform the achievements of the activities
● Support the Country Coordinator in institutional relations and formal requests with institutions, partners and stakeholders
● Be available in conducting any other duty as directed by the supervisors if and when circumstances arise.
● Develop project workplans and supervise project execution and timelines.
● Coordinate and supervise teams for technical, advisory and on-grounds support.
● Liaise with and manage where appropriate external suppliers/subcontractors.
● Manage and review the overall quality of the works and ensure that the beneficiary accepts the completed facility. The quality of the works should reflect those standards defined within the contract drawings and be managed in line with the requirements of ISO9001.
● Liaise with relevant partners and significant project stakeholders.
● Comply with procurement procedures and supervise the preparation of contracts and internal supporting documents.
● Compile reports to be submitted to donors, support the production of technical guidelines.
● Ensure program compliance with internal policies and external requirements.
● Prepare in synergy with the Oikos team the project proposals for co-financing (primarily focusing on foundations and government grants).
● Prepare/adapt work plans for approval by the supervisors
● Prepare monthly, bi-annual and annual reports
● Prepare a final report
● Review and approve all weekly field reports received from the field team
● Advanced University Degree (Master's or equivalent) in Civil Engineering, Architectural, or other relevant discipline. An additional 2 years of relevant work experience in combination with a relevant first university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) may substitute for the requirement for a Master’s degree.
● At least 8 years of proven previous experience as a project manager including a professional experience in managing an international project with a budget of at least 1.5 million of Euros.
● Working knowledge in handling contract issues in the context of EU policies and standards; strong ethics; Experience in managing an EU grant and deep knowledge of EU policies, procedures and requirements.
● Ability to plan work assignments, juggle competing demands and work under pressure of frequent and tight deadlines, and with minimal direction/supervision.
● Excellent communication English skills (spoken and written), with the capability to articulate the project’s aims into sound operating plans and processes; ability to motivate employees, partners, and stakeholders. Knowledge of Kiswahili is an added value.
● High proficiency with computers in particular MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, and the Internet.
●Advance knowledge of working with Internet based applications and languages.
● Ability to lead and supervise teams in a complex multi-national, multi-cultural and challenging environment.
● Experience in monitoring, reporting, development and coordination in either public or private sector organisations is an asset.
● Committed to the UN principles and values, as well as to promoting international development and reform in a conflict environment.
● Technical knowledge and understanding of water and sanitation, and waste management.
● Experience in the delivery of projects that specifically relate to Water and Sanitation, urban development, waste management is an asset
● Work experience in East Africa is desirable.
To apply interested candidates should send their CV including the details of 3 people for professional references, and a letter of motivation (maximum 1 page) with authorization to process personal data pursuant to articles 13 and 14 of G.D.P.R. (General Data Protection Regulation EU Regulation 2016/679 Legislative Decree 196/2003) to email@example.com
Indicate in the subject line: 23/TZ/PM
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Istituto Oikos reserves the right not to hire or employ an applicant if the recruitment process or background check reveals that the applicant has been previously reported for a SEA incident or is not suitable to work with beneficiaries. Istituto Oikos will not hire or employ anyone with a prior conviction for SEA or related offence.
This selection respects the principle of equal opportunities (Law 903/77).
Sei interessato alle nostre attività?
Iscriviti alla nostra newsletter qui.